Monday, February 20, 2012

My Political Idealology

I was raised to believe in the importance of voting.  When I was young, I would go to the voting booth with my mom and watch her "pull the lever" every time elections took place.  When I was 18 and able to vote for the first time, it was a big deal in my family.  I remember my parents taking me to breakfast afterwards to celebrate.  The other big influence I had was my Papaw.  He retired from the U.S. Army after serving in WW II, Vietnam War, and the Korean Conflict.  Though we didn't share the same political views, he always taught me that you did not have the right to complain about our government unless you participated in the election of the people who ran the government.  That thought has stuck with me more than most.
Growing up in a small town in central Texas, most of my political experience was from the right side of the isle.  I still am a conservative voter today.  In my 20's my husband attend law school at Georgetown University.  We lived and worked in Washington D.C.  There my conservative leanings became stronger.  Since having my two children, I feel I have become even more conservative, especially fiscally.  Our children are 7 and 4, and we already take them to vote with us.  I also talk to our 7 year old about politics on a level she can understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment